Elk is one of my favorite meats to work with. When I am trying to develop new recipes, I find that my mind always first wanders to working with elk. I don’t know why it does this, but I just find that elk is so easy to substitute into pre-existing recipes that I am already comfortable with. I also really enjoy pairing the flavor of elk with new ingredients, and seeing just how developed of a flavor profile I can get.
Ironically, the first meal I remember ever having from elk was simple steak and eggs. The steak was seasoned with a generous amount of salt and pepper and fried in a hot pan for just a minute per side. It was accompanied by a simple fried, over medium, egg. And that, to this day, is still my favorite way to prepare elk. After every successful hunt, the first meal is always elk tenderloin steak with fried eggs.
Here are my favorite elk recipes! Enjoy!
- Blueberry and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce Elk Steak – a sweet blueberry sauce is reduced with thyme and balsamic vinegar, while a second creamy gorgonzola cheese sauce is created. Both are poured over elk steak!
- Burgers – home-ground elk and bacon burgers on a portabella mushroom bun.
- Guinness Elk Stew – a hearty stew base is created with Guinness as the star, added to the stew are potatoes, carrots, onions, and elk steak chunks.
- Elk Steak Pizza – grilled flatbread is topped with a bed of greens, cheese, caramelized onions, and thinly shaved elk steak.
- Elk Shepherd’s Pie – browned elk meat served with a wine-based gravy, corn and carrots, under a bed of cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Elk Steak and Eggs – a great way to start with the day with simple seasoned elk tenderloin steak and a side of fried eggs
- Elk Stroganoff Stuffed Mushrooms – a twist of stroganoff with the entire meal in a single, satisfying bite! Baby portabella mushrooms are stuffed with ground elk in a traditional stroganoff sauce.
- Elk Tacos – ground elk with all the traditional taco toppings. Look for the special twist of fried cheddar cheese shells!
- Parmesan and Horseradish Crusted Elk – elk steaks are wrapped in bacon, perfectly cooked, and topped with a parmesan and horseradish chip.
- Sticky Tomato Sauce and Pesto Elk Tenderloin – a sweet tomato sauce and homemade pesto with mozzarella cheese tops this elk steak
- Stuffed Italian Elk Meatloaf – elk meatloaf is rolled into a log filled with sun-dried tomatoes, basil leaves, and mozzarella cheese
- Vietnamese Elk Pho – homemade bone broth with thinly shaved slices of elk, basil, mint, bean sprouts, and rice noodles.
- Whiskey Elk Back Strap – tender steak marinated in smoky whiskey, sweet honey, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard.